Jeff Phillips is a graduate student in the Schneider Lab. His research deals broadly with the brain mechanisms of attentional control, and especially with the role that attention plays in learning and memory. He is currently engaged in two major projects: the first is a behavioral investigation of intensive working memory training and learning transfer, while the second, his dissertation work, examines the white-matter connectivity of brain areas implicated in attentional control. Both lines of research involve a synthesis of data from behavioral experiments, fMRI, and diffusion spectrum imaging (DSI), providing a rich data pool which can be mined for multiple purposes. He hopes that these projects will contribute to basic human neuroscience knowledge and also deepen our understanding of how cognitive training affects the brain.
- Phillips, J. S., Velanova, K., Wolk, D. A., & Wheeler, M. E. (2009). Left posterior parietal cortex participates in both task preparation and episodic retrieval. NeuroImage, 46(4), 1209-1221.
- Phillips, J.S., Laurent, P.A., Guediche, S.A., Bolger, D.J., Perfetti, C.A., & Fiez, J.A. (in preparation). Evidence of functionally distinct areas in left occipito-temporal cortex: effects of stimulus duration.
- Nelson, S. M., Cohen, A. L., Power, J. D., Wig, G. S., Miezin, F. M., Wheeler, M. E., Velanova, K., Donaldson, D. I., Phillips, J. S., Schlaggar, B. L., & Petersen, S. E. (2010). A Parcellation Scheme for Human Left Parietal Cortex. Neuron, 67(1), 156-170.
- Phillips, J. S., Braun, E. M., Workman, B., Horan, L., Schunn, C. D., & Schneider, W. W. (2011). Transfer Effects after Ten Days of Intensive Cognitive Training. Psychonomic Society 2011 Annual Meeting.
- Phillips, J. S., Pathak, S. K., Verstynen, T., & Schneider, W. W. (2010). High-definition fiber tracking of human cortical eye fields. 2010 Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, San Diego.
- Verstynen, T., Jarbo, K., Pathak, S. K., Phillips, J. S., and Schneider, W. (2010). Characterizing the topography of corticospinal pathways with high-definition fiber tractography. 2010 Organization for Human Brain Mapping Annual Meeting, Barcelona.